If you’re trying to eat healthier but don’t want to sacrifice taste, then I highly encourage you to try eating Mediterranean style. The Mediterranean Diet is well known for its health benefits along with its impactful flavors. In fact, U.S. News & World Report ranked the Mediterranean Diet No. 1 on its list of Best Diets, noting the health benefits including weight loss, heart and brain health, cancer and diabetes prevention.
With an emphasis on the eating style of Mediterranean countries like Italy, Croatia, Spain and Greece, the Mediterranean Diet includes lots of
vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, seeds and fish; plenty of olive oil; some dairy and lean poultry; and very little red meat. This is an eating lifestyle (not really a diet) that can help promote longevity and help reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and other chronic illnesses.
That’s why I love this easy
Mediterranean-style chickpea tuna salad recipe with lemon garlic dressing. It’s filled with fresh farm-to-table ingredients like peppers and tomatoes, along with pantry staples like canned tuna and chickpeas. Here’s your easy shopping list: chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, tuna, parsley or cilantro, feta cheese, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, Mediterranean seasoning and minced garlic. You combine the ingredients and the result is a healthy, gluten-free salad with tons of flavor.
Serve this refreshing Mediterranean salad as a light
dinner or for lunch or as a side dish with your favorite meals. It’s extra delicious when paired with some fresh baked bread.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Cuisine: Mediterranean / American
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (12 ounces) solid pack albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- For additional flavor, you could add 1/2 a cup of red onion, thinly sliced.
- I used a yellow bell pepper, but you can use any color bell pepper.
- You could serve this salad on a bed of lettuce, if desired.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the tuna.
- As an alternate way to make the dressing, you can shake the ingredients together in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. Serve then store any leftover dressing in the jar.
- If you don’t have Mediterranean seasoning, you can use Italian or Greek seasoning.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Here’s how to make it:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley or cilantro, and bell pepper.
- Add the tuna and stir to incorporate.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, add the lemon juice, olive oil, Mediterranean seasoning and garlic. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad then toss to coat. Sprinkle the feta (and additional parsley or cilantro, if desired) over the top. Add additional salt, pepper or dressing as needed.
- Serve with fresh bread, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 13.6g
Saturated Fat: 2.6g
Total Carbohydrate: 36.3g
Dietary Fiber: 10.1g
Total Sugars: 8.4g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here’s how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.